Barn Chic Antiques

Barn Chic Antiques

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Round Top - Warrenton Fall Show

Friday was my idea of heaven; I took the day off and headed over about an hour and half east of Austin to the Round Top/Warrenton Antique Show. This show is like none other – miles and miles of antiques, both collector’s items and junk, line the roadside. There are thousands of vendors (at least it seems that way) who come from all over the country for this semi-annual show. The ‘town’ of Round Top has a population of 90, but it is as busy as a bustling metropolis, complete with traffic at stand stills, for a few weeks at the end of September/beginning of October and again at the end of March/beginning of April. To find more about the show, visit Texas Antique Weekend.
Thursday before my day off was a long one - I got to school at 6:30am for Cross Country practice, then after the school day I kept score for the volleyball team, and finally I was able to start sub planning around 8pm - I didn't leave school until nearly 10pm! But the long hours were all worth it, as I just love spending some time alone in the junk fields and hunting for new finds. I got to see some fun antiquing friends and there were endless inspiring displays.  
I learn new lessons each time I go, and this trip was no exception. Here are some things I've discovered over the years:
-I took my trail shoes this time, and so glad I did; the gravel and dirt paths through the fields were uneven and rocky.
-I started out in flipflops, but between the tumbleweed, dust, and gravel, tennis shoes were the only way to go. There were ladies looking cute in their skirts and cowboy boots, but I had some serious shopping to do!
-Always carry tissues with you in case the portapotties (or PolyJohns) are out!
-Bring a cooler to have water, ice, and snacks on hand. Open containers are allowed, so if you want some adult beverages, those are welcome too! Buy or BYO.
-Towels to dip in water and wash off with are great to have, as a place to wash your hands is nearly non-existant.
-TAKE NOTES while shopping! This is a lifesaver. If I make a purchase and leave it there, I make note of what I bought and what's near it so I can later retrieve it! I also make notes of things I would like to go back and consider. However, beware, as it may be gone when you return!
-there are no parking charges for the fields east of Royer's Hall in Warrenton, and I can shop most all of the places I love by parking close to Renck Hall.
-Along the lines of taking notes and parking, be sure to note where your vehicle is parked. I just kept wandering further and further west through the fields and didn't think I would ever find my way back to my car! I then would move it west every few hours to not have to have the long hike back in the hottest part of the day.  
-Be sure to get an early start in the morning when it is cool(er). It was sweltering by noon. Dress in layers, and hats and umbrellas are great to shade the sun (or rain if it ever happens here again).
-I am so glad I wore sunscreen, but wish I had applied it more evenly!
-Bring plenty of cash; most people also accept checks, but they will never turn down cash! Very few accept credit. The only cash machine I have seen was in Round Top, and one year it took us about an hour and a half to make the trip from Warrenton to Round Top. (Note: they are less than four miles apart!) 
-Put sheets down in your car to protect the seats or floor, and I always empty out my car before going so as to maximize my available space!
-Most vendors are open from about 10-6, and you have nearly a week left to check it out! To find out who is open when, visit the calendar.
Here are some pictures of the cool stuff you can find in Warrenton:





Love the globes and pumpkins in this picture...uh, just noticed the weird head on the small luggage?!


Aww, this makes me think of home. Would look great in my mom's beautiful garden!


Speaking of home, what do I find but this cool newspaper rack from (close to) my hometown! I didn't figure "The Pantagraph" is a widely-used name for a paper publication, and it was indeed from Bloomington, IL. The guy said he lived in Decatur for a few years and picked it up while living in the great state of Illinois. You never know what you will find in Warrenton!


Thanks for reading my lengthy post, and I will share more later about my favorite blogger, her beautiful displays, and some fun finds I brought home. Have a wonderful weekend!
-Sarah  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barn Chic Antiques

view sourceprint? 01 09 10