Barn Chic Antiques

Barn Chic Antiques

Monday, December 26, 2011

Winter Wonderland?

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I can't believe it has come and gone already. Andrew and I visited family and friends in Illinois for several days and had a great time. I loved every minute of catching up with childhood friends and extended family. It truly was a great holiday!

My parents have a beautiful house on amazing land and this is the view from the back porch typically this time of year:






The only time of year I really appreciate snow is right before Christmas. We have been fortunate to get back to Illinois every year for Christmas and most years it is a white Christmas...but this year was an exception! Rather than snowing banks and icy rooflines, it was sunny skies and less frigid temperatures. Was pleasant for winter but didn't feel so much like Christmas! 

This year's view


My parents' resident polar bear, Zoey, was happy enough despite the lack of snow. She was busy protecting sheep most of the time but found a few moments to slober on the visitors.

Andrew flew into Peoria on Thursday and we made a detour through Washington to check out one of my favorite area shops, Step Back in Time. Here are just a few shots from the store - their furniture is simply amazing. Good thing I don't live nearby!





I bought the cute chippy blue ladder in this picture! I see a drive to IL in my future...

Beautiful old barn door

This cabinet is so perfect for dispaly!



To all my Midwestern friends, this store on the old square is worth the trip!

Another stop on my trip was the Old House Society in Bloomington. So many recommended this architectural salvage store, and I couldn't resist visiting on my way home from running errands in town before our extended family gathering. I am glad I stopped! Got a few small salvage pieces and a great old typewriter in its original carrying case. Look at their oodles of salvage!














Thanks for the recommendation, friends! A great store and one I will visit whenever I am back.

Beautiful Barns

With a business and blog name like Barn Chic Antiques, one might figure I love old barns. The drive home from 'town' is filled with so many and I just had to capture some of my favorites.

Look how stunning that wreath looks on this old white barn.
 

I admire this barn on my summer runs and was glad to be able to get outside for one [slow jog] this winter too! Even remembered my camera so I could get a picture of it.


This great tin roof is on our neighbor's barn.

Around the farm

My mom does such a wonderful job of decorating. Inside is stunning, and she even takes the time to decorate outside as well! This year she said she bought an additional Christmas tree (for $16) at a home improvement store and then cut up the tree to use for swags and decore. Way more affordable than buying the greenery! As always, beautiful work Mom!








I want to bring this building (our former play house) back to Texas with me...

Here is the sweet little tricycle I bought my mom for an early Christmas gift. It has been out since Thanksgiving and my Dad just noticed it was there. 

Her second tree on the porch - love the galvanized steel bucket it sits in!


Hard to tell from the picture, but the centerpiece is made from barbed wire!


 Speaking of barbed wire, here is another present I got for my mom. The mom of one of my former students makes these - isn't it awesome? Wish I could make such nifty things!


My stylish sister Mary!


Thank you, Andrew, for making the trip home with me!

Though the landscape wasn't as expected, we have a great trip and are so fortunate to have so many loving family and friends to visit. I hope you all enjoyed your celebrations and created wonderful holiday memories wherever you were!  

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barn Chic Antiques

view sourceprint? 01 09 10