Barn Chic Antiques

Barn Chic Antiques

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cross-Country Thanksgiving Trek: Great shops and even better company

I have so much for which to be thankful! What a wonderful week I had catching up with friends and family. I am so glad I was able to get a flight to Illinois to visit my immediate and extended family, plus my two lifelong friends, Heather and Rachel. I was even able to fit in visits to cute shops and came home with more luggage than I left with! It was a great visit and I am already looking forward to Christmas for a longer stay. 


My cat Tom wasn't excited about me leaving and was attempting to prevent my packing...

ILLINOIS TRIP PART I - Barrington and Lake Zurich (Northwest Chicago Suburbs)

I flew out of Austin last Saturday morning directly to O'Hare, and my childhood friend Rachel picked me up. She shares a passion for finding old treasures, so she took me all around her neighboring northwest Chicago suburbs (Barrington mainly) to shop. We both found some great deals! Here are some photos of the cute stores and their displays.


An adorable shop, Tattered Tiques
Cute idea with the skeleton key and twine!





I love those skis!                








Rachel bought this great trunk and had her dad put a safety hinge on it for a toy chest!

What do you know - more monkey brains! BTW, I haven't had a roach since they arrived!

Isn't this chicken feeder with dried peas awesome?!


This chicken nester was made of wood.



On to another store in the same shopping plaza, Junk Warehouse.







We also visited the The Pink Geranium. At the three stores, I racked up:
-a really old dictionary
-a tool caddy
-a boxed set of music for a player piano
-3 ball jars, blue in color (I really have to watch how I describe the color and brand of jar...)
-some decorative little Christmas trees
-a vintage ornament
-two old rose cages
-and an antique sled
Rachel bought quite a bit too...it was a wonder we could fit in the car with all of our finds and my luggage!

My shopping partner and lifelong friend, Rachel
Thanks for a great excursion - I had an awesome time as always visiting you and your family! 


ILLINOIS TRIP, PART II - Heyworth and Clinton, IL (central IL)

My dad picked me up in Schaumburg on Sunday morning and we drove home to Heyworth for an extended family gathering. It was great to see my mom, dad, sister, grandmother, aunt, uncles, and cousins, but I didn't get to see everyone on my dad's side or any of my mom's side. Hopefully I will be able to see them all at Christmas! Regrettably, I didn't take any pictures.  

Another must-see when I go home is my other lifelong friend, Heather. Here she is with her son, Brodie, and new puppy, Chief; this photo was taken on our COLD run on Monday in her rural neighborhood. She is an excellent exercise buddy and I love catching up with her.


On Tuesday, my mom and I headed to my favorite antique hot spot, Clinton. I love seeing the home decor and antique furniture at Country Junction. Their winter tablescapes and vignettes were gorgeous!









We also visited the Clinton Antique Mall, right next to Country Junction. I always get some fun finds there, and this time I walked out with loads! I picked up several Christmas gifts too; I got my mom a rusty tricycle that she wanted for her garden (she was with me, so I am not ruining the surprise) and I bought my sister and friend some goodies there too. I managed to fit some dominoes, more Ball jars (which I already sold!), and vintage ornaments in my suitcase in addition to the earlier purchases (well, except the sled). 

Next up was the La Tea Da Tea Room and Gift Shop. This place is truly a gem and is owned and operated by good friends of our family; not only do they serve up awesome delectables, but they also have an incredible selection of gifts and decor. Their displays are inspiring! The gift shop is upstairs in an old house that has so much charm, and each room is decorated perfectly. My mom helped decorate a tree in this first picture and has served as the house gardener.



  Black, silver, and red - so sophisticated!

I love up-side-down trees like this! Wonder if I could do that?


Cool white Hoosier cabinet!



 
Look at those old curved glass windows!




The owner and dedicated blog reader, Carol, pictured to the left of my wonderful mom.
Such talent in those two women!


After I got my cat out of my suitcase and finished packing, I left for IL with two bags:

  

I came home to Austin with four!


Loads of new purchases are now displayed at the Austin Antique Mall, and I even managed to get home my grandmother's sewing machine in the green duffel bag. I have some projects in mind....I started one today and it was a massive fail; check back for proof of that!  
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, shopped small on Saturday, and are enjoying decorating for the Christmas season!
-Sarah






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barn Chic Antiques

view sourceprint? 01 09 10