Barn Chic Antiques

Barn Chic Antiques

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Thank you, Austin Antique Mall

It has been a great run at the Austin Antique Mall, but yesterday was my final day as a vendor there. Three years ago, I inquired about being a vendor and put my name on the waiting list. I had zero experience in antiques other than shopping for them, yet Freddie took a chance with me and gave me a little 7 by 11 space in the center of the mall. My first days in the booth were marked by a lot of empty wall space and random vintage and antique pieces dotting the floor, but my paychecks were steady.

Move in day



 Day 1 of Barn Chic Antiques 

One of my favorite pieces in the early days was that gray nesting box. I was able to ditch the antique mall white shelves when I found this - it didn't last long in my space, but I found later saw it in a local store as a display piece and it made my day. The store is at least the 3rd dealer to buy this piece. 


From too much wall space to none at all showing, I mastered the art of cramming in the merchandise and building up in the booth. Perhaps there was too much here for 77 square feet. 

There were a few consistent items in my space over the years:
1) Blue mason jars
2) Screens
3) Suitcases
4) Chippy cabinets
5) Metal carts
6) Skeleton keys
7) Vintage clocks















I love colors, could you tell?


And in case you weren't sure what season it was, I usually had it spelled out with vintage marquis letters:




(Winter doesn't get any love. That's when the "Spring" sign goes up.) 

Sometimes I indicated which holiday was approaching too:



And then I stated the obvious:



I loved my time at the Austin Antique Mall, and it's fun to look back at these pictures to see not only how my style and displays have changed, but also to see just how much merchandise sold from that space. I met great customers when I was there restocking. I have more than a few stories from my time there, and I am sure neither the staff nor I will forget the time I got locked in the mall. I adore the people who work there and will definitely still be by to shop and say hello. 

Teaching and coaching are keeping me beyond busy and something had to give. Though I am no longer in the mall, Barn Chic Antiques will still be out and about at Texas shows. Shows give me more flexibility to choose times of the year that work around my school schedule, and I think I caught the show bug! Up next: Petticoats on the Prairie in Ballinger on April 11 and 12. I can't wait! 

Thank you to all my Austin Antique Mall customers! It has been a great three years. 

Have a chic week(end),

~Sarah   




2 comments:

  1. I know you'll be missed there, but it's great that you'll be setting up at pop-up shows across Texas. This is a fun way to turn your merchandise. See you on the junkin road soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED your space at the Antique Mall!! I was very sad to see your booth missing the last time I stopped in. In all honesty you were my favorite booth in the whole mall. I adored your displays and cute vintage trinkets. I bought many skeleton keys, suitcases and jars from your store.

    ReplyDelete

Barn Chic Antiques

view sourceprint? 01 09 10