Barn Chic Antiques

Barn Chic Antiques

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Shop Small in a Big Way

Today is Small Business Saturday! 


I want my 'shopping small' to be a big deal this year; I am challenging myself to buy all my gifts for friends and family this holiday season from small businesses. 

The hardest gifts to find outside of the big box stores will be those for kids, but I have only a handful of kiddos on my list and am hoping I can find something for them at a local bookstore or toystore. 

I love coupons and getting great deals, but I also love finding something unique or handmade while supporting local artisans. This year I have become more cynical than ever about our big box culture due to the large number of chain retailers not just being open on Thanksgiving day, but also requiring employees to work on the holiday (which happened to be Hanukkah as well).

The best way to avoid the long lines, pushy crowds, parking lot vultures, and coupon craziness? Go to a local holiday bazaar (like Vintage in Verdi next Saturday in Pleasanton!), antique mall, small boutique, or even shop online for handmade wares at sites like Etsy, Zibbet, Artfire, Luulla, Dawanda, and others. For a great list of online sites, visit this post at iCraftopia.   

My gift shopping starts today; I hope you too can support Small Business Saturday today and continue to think small when it comes to buying big for the holidays and all year long.

Have a chic week,

~Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barn Chic Antiques

view sourceprint? 01 09 10