Barn Chic Antiques

Barn Chic Antiques

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Do you smell that?

I rarely visit Pinterest. I waste enough time online and figure I shouldn't add yet another site to my already lengthy list of internet obsessions. I know I am missing out on some great ideas, but I'm fearful of getting sucked in to the addiction. I recently saw one Pinterest homemade recipe that seemed simple enough for even me to replicate. The ingredient list was only 5 items long, one of which was water, and I had a few of the necessary ingredients already.

I busted out my shiny new pot this weekend. The pot isn't exactly new, but it hasn't been used since I got it nearly three years ago. I took all our Bed, Bath, & Beyond gift cards and somehow scored a sweet set of stainless pots and pans for less than it probably cost to produce them. And then I got a rebate in the mail. I love that place. Andrew said one of my talents in life is maximizing BB &B coupons; I take this as a highly prized compliment.  

So I have this great set of pots and pans, but I never use them. There are two reasons for this: 1) I'm no chef, and 2) when I do fix things (I don't call boiling pasta "cooking"), I use the cruddy old pots and pans I took with me to my first apartment from my mom's kitchen (thanks Mom!). The few times I used my nice cookware, I scorched the pan and left an unsightly stain around the rim of the pan. I even got some tips from a professional cookware associate at the retail outlet, but alas, the stains continue and my guilt for not knowing how to prevent them grows. I gave up trying and just use the old crappy pans and feel slightly better about my 'fixing' skills.  

Anyway, back to Pinterest. My teacher friend Michelle, also known as Mrs. Harveylicious when she busts out her science raps, is a pretty crafty gal and posted a pic on Facebook of all this potpourri she made...and she stored it in the best containers ever, blue Ball jars. I am pretty obsessed with them [the jars]. Here is the picture of her final products:


The recipe came from Pinterest, so I looked it up and figured I could attempt to make my own potpourri too. It was super simple. 


All you need is vanilla extract, cinnamon sticks, rosemary, lemon, and water.

I gotta give credit to the author of the recipe I found, so check out Mother Thyme's post for the details on how to make your own fresh smelling kitchen. It just a few minutes, you too can be saying, "Do you smell that?" to your family.



After simmering for a few minutes, I asked Andrew, "Do you smell that?" Just as the words left my lips, I cringed, fearing what his response would be, but he replied, "A candle?" Whew. Yes, babe, close, but way better. 

I didn't enjoy the scent for too long as we were headed out for dinner (I don't cook, remember?), but Mother Thyme says this concoction can last several days. Just simmer when home for that fresh spa scent!

Thanks to Pinterest, I finally put this pan to use. 

Have a chic week,

~Sarah
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I love to make my own too and mine usually consists of ground cinnamon, ground or whole cloves, sometimes pumpkin pie spice, lemon and water. I let it steep in the microwave and then leave the door open once it starts boiling. The steam goes all through the house. Actually made some this weekend. Miss seeing you too and now that I'm moving into shops will probably be doing less shows. I'm sure we'll at least see each in Warrenton!

    ReplyDelete

Barn Chic Antiques

view sourceprint? 01 09 10